Much has been said and distributed about CASL / Bill C-28 / Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation which finally comes into effect on July 1st. Are you ready?
My goal here is not to rehash everything, but to point you towards all the latest resources about this new law, its implications and requirements for you as marketers. Exactly what do you need to know?
– You can communicate with prospects for up to 6 months with implicit consent, or until they unsubscribe, or convert into clients
– You can communicate with clients for up to 2 years with implicit consent, or until they unsubscribe, or remain active clients
– You can communicate indefinitely with explicit double opt-in registrants
– CASL is mostly aimed at business to consumer electronic communications (email, social messages, text messaging…)
– Applicable to international companies communicating with Canadians in Canada.
– Not applicable to Canadian companies communicating with contacts outside Canada, however you do need to follow each country’s anti-spam laws.
Are your newsletters segmented by type of contact? Do you have a true double opt in for your newsletter registrants? Here are a few articles that will help you know more about the law, its regulations and what you need to do to prepare.
- Talking CASL with Delvinia’s Adam Froman (Part one), marketingmag.ca by David Thomas
- Talking CASL with Delvinia’s Adam Froman (Part two), marketingmag.ca by David Thomas
- Preparing for the upcoming Canadian Anti-Spam Law, experian.com by Bridgette Darling
- Why American PR firms should care about CASL, marketingmag.ca by Geoffrey Rowan Jun 11
- Reaching Prospects With CASL: What eMarketers Need to Know, socialmediatoday.com by Randy Milanovic May 22
- Are you ready for CASL’s July 1 roll out?, marketingmag.ca by Tricia Kuhl, Laurie Birbilas and Wendy Mee May 14
- CASL’s Impact on Email Marketers, emailinstitute.com by dlawrentz Jun 10
- Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) will impact business communications, cme-mec.ca by Brad Fougere, Jun 18
- The Transitional Period & Implied Consent Under CASL, mondaq.com by Richard Stobbe, Jun 18
- Can charities handle CASL’s complexity?, CanadianLawyerMag.com by Vawn Himmelsbach, May 26
- How the CRTC will enforce CASL, IT World Canada by Candice So, Jun 12
- Anti-spam law could mean headaches for small businesses – New rules take effect July 1, Calgary Herald by Amanda Stephenson, Jun 10
- Will you be in compliance with Canada’s new anti-spam legislation come July 1?, Financial Post by Jeff Quipp, May 28
- Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation: Everything You Need to Know, LeSite
And for my francophone friends…
- C-28 – La loi canadienne anti-pourriels: êtes-vous vraiment prêt?, strategies.ca by Mark Morin Jun 10
- La loi anti-pourriel ne vise que les cibles faciles, Journal de Québec par Pierre Trudel, 18 juin
- Loi anti-pourriel : des entreprises en Atlantique se disent touchées, Radio-Canada.ca, 17 juin
- La loi anti-pourriel qui effraie les entrepreneurs, Droit-Inc.com via QMI, 16 juin
- Loi anti-pourriel: le CRTC ne pourra pas répondre à toutes les plaintes, LaPresse.ca, 28 mai
- Loi canadienne anti-pourriel : limiter les contacts, AutoSphere.ca par Krystyna Lagowski, 11 juin
- Loi anti-pourriel : êtes-vous prêt?, Conseiller.ca le 28 mai
Authored by Samuel Parent.
You must be logged in to post a comment.